In 1916, Douglas A. Fraser purchased the farm property on North Territorial Road (now known as Inverness Country Club), on North Lake from Fred Glen. Fraser’s family relocated there in 1920. After farming for five years, it became expedient to sell off the livestock and farm machinery, and build a nine hole golf course and subdivide the lake property (now known as Park Lawn Beach Subdivision).
The firm of J. French Paddock & Associates, Civil and Landscape Engineers from Detroit, were hired with Conklin & Hampekin, specialists in drawing such plans and promoting construction, to complete two phases of the project. Dan Denton was hired for a short time as foreman of the construction crew on the golf course.
The whole project was a great success for several years. Prospective buyers were invited to participate in such attractions as home-cooked meals in the Club House, horseback and pony rides, playing tennis on a new clay court, barn dances on Saturday nights, and of course golf. Rental cottages were for sale and new people were soon building their own. Ice could be delivered to cottage residents in the summertime and the new roads were all kept in good condition.
The Club was incorporated in the early 1930’s and the Board of Trustees (now Directors) have been responsible for the operation of the project since.
Mr. Fraser was born in Sarnia, Ontario, on March 6, 1883, of Scottish ancestry from Inverness, Scotland; hence, the name chosen for the Club. He came to Detroit after his father’s death in 1899 and in 1906 he, as President, and two partners founded the American Brass & Iron Company.
The stock market crash of 1929 finally took its toll, and the early prosperity of the beginning adventure never regained the momentum it enjoyed at the start. Douglas Fraser died on November 6, 1952.